Okay so it’s coming to the end of my first year in University which means I’ll no longer need to live in halls with 5 other people because I have a lease on a beautiful apartment with my partner for our second year so were excited to leave halls! I was thinking about some things that I have learnt from living in halls specifically and how I’ve learnt to cope with flatmates and all the drama and craziness that comes with it. So here it goes! 🙂
- Your flatmates are just as nervous as you on your first day moving in, On my first day at halls I unpacked my things, my parents said their goodbyes and sadly had to leave. I sat in my chair and burst out crying to which then led one of my new flatmates to come in and give me hug to cheer me up and explained she felt the same but she’s next door if I want to chat so I’m not alone.
- The first few weeks no one touches your food out of shyness and respect, then BAM! after a month or so you start to realise your shopping is disappearing and its not going into your tummy but someone else’s instead!
- You wont like all your flatmates and they wont all like you. When you first move in everyone is friendly to each other, they will talk to you and get to know you a bit better and then once you’ve all been stuck in the same apartment for such a long time arguments and disagreements form, bitching happens and things are not as rosy as they were in the beginning anymore.
- You may get a flat of people who overly clean or you may get flatmates who have low standards of hygiene, your flat is a pick’n’mix of students remember not everyone will have the same outlook as you on things such as cleaning up or tidying.
- Everyone insists on playing their music on the loudest volume possible. When you come to halls it seems everyone wants to be a DJ for your whole flat! This is a sure fire way to annoy any flatmates as well, especially if your trying to revise for an exam the next day or you don’t like their taste in music.
So that’s five little thing’s I have learnt from personal experience at Uni halls 🙂