Okay so you’ll see things on the internet and stuff telling you all this crazy stuff you’re meant to bring to university with you when you leave home, many shops and retailers take advantage of this and try and push lots of deals on stuff and things onto you as well but from experience I can tell you what you will need as a rough guideline! 🙂
- Your bedding – Otherwise you’ll freeze to death when it’s cold at night! Some Universities may already give you bedding so double check before you make your trip.
- Your documents – VERY essential, bring passports, driving licenses, bank cards, important letters and details with you. Best idea is to buy a small plastic wallet and store them all in there in case you need them, which you definitely will.
- Any sentimental things – Well that was an obvious one right? Unless you want to leave them at home.
- Room decorations – University rooms are notoriously plain and bland, soon the walls will drive you mad! Bring some posters, fairy lights, plants (I had a mint plant but it died cause the sun killed it 😦 ) and such to brighten up your room and make you feel more at home and happy. I brought posters, drawings, wall art and a lava lamp 😀
- Your clothes, Make-up and other essentials – Another obvious one.
- Cutlery, cups and Kitchen ware – Do not assume you’ll need one set just for you because when you make friends or your boyfriend comes round for dinner and they haven’t got anything to eat off of they wont be happy, plus lots of it will probably go missing or get lost as well, always clever to have more than one set. Do not buy anything fancy, you’re going to university no one worries what sort of kitchen ware you have, plus most students take plates and pans from home that their parents do not need anyway. (Most Universities supply a kettle, ironing board and microwave but double check with yours if they do!)
- Notepads – It is probably best to run to poundland or 99p store and grab a few lined notepads before you come as they’ll be cheaper do not buy loads assuming you’ll use every page because I doubt you will in the end.
- Medical kit – You will need this at some point most likely, stock it with painkillers, bandages, plasters, disinfectant and other little bits in case of emergencies as it is always handy.
- An alarm clock – Unless you use your phone like me you will need something to wake you up in the morning for those lectures and seminars!
- Laptop – Bring your laptop because obviously you’ll need it for coursework and such plus entertainment 😀
- TV – Now some uni’s may not have televisions within your room but they may have a communal TV or none at all in which case you can consider bringing your own but TV licensing will be quite pricey!
- Optional things – Such as stereo, xbox and ps3, board games, sport equipment, mp3 players etc.
Do not bring things you wont use or need – they will eventually take up to much space!
This was my room at University first year (below)