Living a happy life at University is a lot harder than the media will have you believe, juggling coursework and revision as well as exams and still going to lectures and seminars is something that gets a lot of students disheartened every year. Now I’m not saying students don’t drink, party, stay out late or do stupid things because the majority do but behind that is the constant struggle to keep up with everything.
So with this article I thought I would share some tips that I have heard before! 🙂
- If you feel you chose the wrong course then change and as quick as you can – make sure you think through whether it is just first month blues of being a uni or whether its a genuine hate for the course itself then make the decision to change it.
- Make friends with people in halls and outside of halls – don’t just recluse yourself to the people you live with because the probability is you might find people that you share lots in common with outside of your accommodation as well. Also try to make friends with people on your course so you look forward to going to seminars and lectures and you wont be sitting alone.
- Try to meet all deadlines and don’t leave everything to the last minute – that can make even the strongest of people feel unmotivated.
- Try your best – If you don’t get the grade you want in a piece of coursework or exam, try again or seek some assistance as there are plenty of people willing to help you such as professors and peers.
- Don’t ever be pressured into something – you make your own choices, no-one is going to think you’re uncool if you don’t do something stupid and if they do then that person is clearly not mature enough and not worth your time anyway.
- If you don’t understand something then ask – I’ve made this mistake endlessly I’ve been to shy or high on pride to ask for help and often misunderstood the task, it’s so much easier and less cringy to ask for help than mess it up!
- Homesickness is a big factor – if you’re feeling homesick give home a quick call or get in touch and if that doesn’t help try to occupy yourself by hanging out with people or doing something you love like reading or gaming. Now I still get homesick and all it takes for me to feel better is spending time with my partner, ringing home or getting a motivational talk from my dad 🙂
- Don’t go out alone at night – this is an all round rule, one of the worst mistakes is thinking ‘nothing bad will happen to me’ because that’s when you’re off guard and most vulnerable. If it is necessary to go out alone make sure someone knows where you’re going to make sure you’re safe.
- Try to get a part time job – extra money = more happiness.
- Try not to spend all your money – I met a girl on freshers that spent all her money on clubbing and had nothing to live off for the next month or so and this is a regular occurrence we’d all love to buy a new wardrobe but sadly at the end of the day when you haven’t even got enough for a take away or some shopping is when you regret spontaneous spending most.